#ThisISOurLane Comes to Capitol Hill
Within hours of the National Rifle Association (NRA) attacking medical providers, who called for expanded public health research and action to prevent gun violence, America’s doctors responded across social media using the hashtag #ThisISOurLane. Many doctors shared haunting and horrific pictures of themselves covered in blood after treating gun violence victims.
As this conversation advanced on social media, a domestic abuser with easy access to a gun walked into Chicago Mercy Hospital and killed Dr. Tamara O’Neal, Chicago Police Officer Samuel Jimenez and pharmacy resident Dayna Less, PharmD.
America’s doctors are sick and tired of seeing patients, friends, neighbors and colleagues killed because of Congressional inaction on gun violence. They, along with Members of Congress, are demanding action in the 116th Congress to save lives.
What: #ThisISOurLane Press Conference
Where: Cannon 421
When: Thursday, November 29th at 2:15pm
- Congresswoman Robin Kelly, vice chair of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force and chair of the Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust;
- Dr. John Maa, Chief of the Division of General and Acute Care Surgery, Marin General Hospital and President of the San Francisco Marin Medical Society;
- Dr. Joseph V. Sakran, Trauma Surgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Gun Violence Survivor, and Brady Board Member;
- Dr. Niva Lubin-Johnson, senior attending physician at Chicago Mercy Hospital and the 119th president of the National Medical Association;
- Dr. Peter Masiakos, Director, Pediatric Trauma Service at Massachusetts General Hospital, Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School and author of The Quiet Room;
- Dr. Lenore Jarvis, Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Children’s National Medical Center;
- Congressman Eric Swalwell;
- Congressman Frank Pallone;
- Congressman Mike Thompson, chair of the House Gun Violence Prevention Task Force;
- Congresswoman-elect Debbie Mucarsel-Powell; and
- Members and Members-elect of Congress.